Saturday, April 14, 2012

Barnabas and Saul in Antioch

I'm reading through Acts right now.  It's a book I have avoided for a long long time.  I thought it was boring.  It isn't.  These verses caught my attention today:

Acts 13:38 & 39  "Therefore my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.  Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses."

Here Paul and Barnabas are speaking to observant Jews.  When the Jews fail to accept the good news, they respond this way:

Act 13:46 "Then Paul and Barnabas answerd them boldly: "We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles.""

Acts 13:48 says the Gentiles were glad and honored and believed!

These verses make me think about people today who think they have to fix themselves before they are worthy to accept eternal life. It makes me think of people following religious rules (Muslim, Christian, Jewish whatever). They can never quite be justified or accepted because they can't get the observance of the rules right.

No comments: